Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand
Consultant, Design Research
This body of work investigated the implications and feasibility of building multi-storey mental health facilities for New Zealand. It looked at both acute and forensic mental health services.
Multi-Storey Mental Health Facilities
Exemplar projects have been analysed to establish design benchmarks and key performance indicators for multi-storey mental health facilities. This has contributed to evidence-based reference material prepared to inform the briefing for projects of this type.
The following key issues were identified and discussed:
- Universal and inclusive design
- Provision of natural light
- Access to landscaped spaces
- Connection to the land
- Vertical transfer
- Plan typologies suitable for multistorey solutions
- Meaningful development of design guidelines